Becoming a Plant-Based Babe
If you didn’t already know, my plant based diet has been an absolute game changer for my lifestyle aaaand played a huge part of completely transforming my body inside, and out! It took me a while to figure out what works for my body and my goals, but it has been so worth getting to this point! I know that many of you are on the fence about whether to go plant based, and if it will suit your lifestyle and your goals. I want to help my babies have the tools to achieve the body and lifestyle they’ve always wanted! Today, I have made a list of ways that I have integrated a plant based way of living into my life!
First off, the big question....
What does Plant Based even mean?
Well, this is a topic for hot debate, and can be very confusing! I believe it means something different for every individual. In its most basic form, it means eating mostly plant based foods and avoiding foods from animal sources. How you choose to swing it, will be completely dependent on the individual. The most important feature is that most of your diet is derived from plants!
Everyone has a different incentive for wanting to live life plant based... It could be:
• Your love for animals
• The desire to make a positive impact on the environment
• Wanting to fuel your body with a cleaner fuel
• You want to reap the health benefits associated with this diet
• Or purely just because you like to eat those foods!
For whatever reason you choose to become a plant eater, it is important that you start considering getting a balance of the right nutrients in your body! Your overall goal will determine how you map your diet out. One of the things that I love about being “plant based” is that there is variety in the way you choose to incorporate it into your life. I am a firm believer that to be truly connected with your body you must be intuitive.
For some of you, that might mean having a little more flexibility in your diet and lifestyle choices. To be able to sustain a way of living long-term, you have to really love and believe in what you are doing. This is essential for diet and exercise! If you are content with your lifestyle, it won’t be a chore you resent. It will become an enjoyable way of living!
The Basics to Implement When Starting Your Plant Based Life:
1. Integrate more colour on your plate! When you are mapping out your meals for the week, try and gradually decrease your animal products and increase other plant based proteins (ideas below)
2. Incorporate more solely plant based meals to your meal plan. Be aware of what you are putting in your body for the day and make sure your meals are planned. Take the time to learn about different sources of plant based protein, carbohydrate and fats!
3. Slowly transition - You are setting yourself up for failure if you restrict yourself from the things you have been reliant upon! If you loveeee eggs, you don’t have to remove them straight away or completely if that does not suit your lifestyle. The key here is reduction in consumption to start off with!
4. Connect with other plant based people - I would highly recommend following other people who are living life plant based! Social media is a really powerful tool, if you fill your insta feed with others on a similar path, it’s like a subliminal supportive message to keep going!
5. Be BASIC AF with your recipes - Don’t over complicate it to begin with! Keeping your meal prep and recipes simple will assist in keeping you on the wagon and holding you accountable. If it is too time consuming and expensive to create meals you will be super unmotivated, frustrated and more likely to revert to old habits.
6. Explore plant based cafes and restaurants with your friends and family - WOW there are so many seriously amazing cafes that are completely plant based, or offer delicious plant based meals. Not only will you be inspired by what they are able to create, it will be the perfect opportunity to let your friends know that this your new way of living and it rocks! Having support and understanding in big life decisions will set you up for success!
7. Get yourself to a quality health store - The products that are now available at health stores are amaaaazing! Not only do they feature premium plant based products, but they also offer more affordable staples, as plant based living is becoming more and more popular.
8. Find your FAVORITE’S - following a plant based diet is easy when you have all your favorite meals included! What I would suggest is creating a meal plan that features all of your favorite plant based meals and is macro balanced! Plant Based Proteins You Should ADD to Your Diet Okay, so now that you have started to integrate more plants into your diet, it’s really important to think about making sure you get enough protein! This is an area that a lot of new plant-based babes struggle to incorporate! Carbohydrates and fats are absolutely the easy ones to incorporate. If one of your goals is to build muscle, you’re going to want to get that protein in.
Here is a list of some of my favorite protein sources…
• Tofu, tempeh, seitan and other soybean derived products
• Plant based protein like Blessed (have you got your hands on the new Birthday cake flavour?)
• Legumes like lentils, beans and chickpeas - so affordable, filling and versatile!
• Nutritional Yeast (also can give you that all important B12 boost! yay!)
• Nuts and seeds (as I said before, peanut butter is life… AND mandatory for the gains) When you are planning out your meals, start being more aware of the macro breakdown on your plate. Do you have enough protein? Good fats? Carbs? A well balanced diet needs to have all of these components!
Be PREPARED with Plant Based Snacks
If you are anything like me, then snacking is a non-negotiable! Regardless of your diet type, having some of these snacks prepared will make transitioning into the plant based world THAT much more enjoyable… Here are a few of my favorites. These are straight from my WBK challenge and some of my #WBKgirls fav’s… If you have any incredible snack recipes make sure you tag #WBKgirls, I get so inspired by all the food you girls create!