What does perseverance mean to you? To me, perseverance means doing something even though it’s difficult or slows me down in achieving success!
Being able to persevere in any of your endeavors is a must, and that especially holds true when it comes to exercise and fitness. Losing weight and getting in peak physical condition takes time. Many people become impatient and try to “cheat” the system by turning to ridiculous fad diets, weight loss surgery, taking diet drugs or gimmicky products that will do more harm than good.
In other words, being able to persevere when times get tough isn’t easy, and it’s not for quitters, which is why you’re with me! Being able to stay motivated and continue to stay focused on your goal takes mental toughness and is the key component to success.
Getting into the Perseverance Mindset
One of the greatest challenges is staying positive when the world seems to be crumbling around you. While it’s sometimes difficult, it’s not impossible to stay on course and keep the negative thoughts at bay. Here are my top perseverance tips for when times get tough:
- Surround yourself with positive people. A sympathetic ear or encouraging word may be just what you need during a difficult time. Sometimes, a little psychological boost is all that’s needed to help you get back on track. On the flipside, avoid people who are quick to criticize your efforts or sabotage your goals.
- Eliminate negative thoughts. Theloudest voice is the voice only you can hear: the one in your head. AYou can be surrounded by positive people, but if that voice in your head tells you that you can’t do something, you won’t. On the other hand, if that little voice says you can do something, then nothing anyone says will be able to prevent you from achieving success.
- Keep moving. Most of the time, negative thoughts occur when you’re being idle and not doing anything positive or productive. Working out is a great way to help relieve any tension and stress the negative thoughts may cause.
- Focus on the long term. Perseverance means understanding that the road to success is filled with roadblocks, detours, and rush hour traffic. The GPS won’t show these obstacles, but it’s important to understand they could pop up at a moment’s notice. Giving yourself extra time to reach your destination is critical. My favorite quote about this is, “Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass, it’s about learning to dance in the rain”.
The perseverance mindset must be fine-tuned daily. Practicing these tips will help a person stay focused and ready to face any challenges they encounter:
1. Write down your goals. Remind yourself why you’re doing what you’re doing to keep motivated. This is especially useful as notes on your smartphone.
2. Read inspirational quotes and stories daily. Reading about the success of others shows you that anything is possible, if you’re willing to work at it.
3. Visualize what you want. Close your eyes and imagine you are experiencing the success you envisioned in real time. Your subconscious mind will begin to work on finding ways to make this dream a reality. The more detailed the vision, the more likely it is to come true.
No matter your goals, success never comes easy - you need to have the right mindset and the ability to persevere when times get tough :)