Mother’s Day is one of my favvv celebrations of the year because I’d be nowhere without my momma! My mom is a personal trainer and is the person who really inspired me to get into fitness. We LOVE working out together, so I thought I’d share three exercises that you can do with your mom (no matter what fitness level y'all are at) for a fun way to spend time together this Mother’s Day!
We all know I loovve doing squats. Not only does it help sculpt your lower body, but it also helps improve your joints and increase your bone density (your mom will thank you later!)
Body Weight Squats (Beginner - Advanced)
- Stand with feet hip-width apart.
- Push your hips back and bend your knees, keeping your chest upright to squat.
- Push through your heels to straighten your knees back into starting position.
Squat Jumps (Intermediate - Advanced)
- Begin the exercise with your feet slightly wider than hip-width apart.
- Squat down until your thighs are parallel to the ground.
- Explosively jump as high as possible while maintaining body tension.
- Control your landing whilst maintaining momentum, and repeat.
Building my booty is my speciality, so I had to include this exercise! If your momma is a bit reluctant about this exercise, tell her that glute bridges help with core stability AND helps improve lower back and hip strength!
Regular Glute Bridge (Beginner - Intermediate)
- Lie on the mat with back flat, knees bent and feet shoulder width apart on the ground.
- From lying position, raise your hips towards the roof and come into a bridge position
- Slowly lower your back onto the floor and repeat.
Single Leg Glute Bridge (Advanced)
- Lay on your back with your knees bent to 90 degrees and feet hip-width apart. Extend one leg straight up.
- Lift your hips up as high as possible forming a straight line from your shoulders to your knee
- Squeeze your glutes and hold this position
- Keeping your back straight, slowly lower your leg and repeat for the other leg.
Planking is one of the BEST full body exercises for overall strength and sculpting, but did you know planking improves your posture and reduces back pain? It's the perfect mother daughter exercise!
Regular Plank (Beginner - Advanced)
- Begin exercise with forearms and feet on the ground, ensuring that you are pushing through your shoulders with your core activated and your glutes squeezed. To make easier, keep knees on the ground.
- Hold this position for at least 30 seconds.
Plank Alternating Hip Dips (Advanced)
- Come into an elbow plank position - feet together, shoulders over elbows, back flat and core engaged.
- From elbow plank position, drop one hip towards the ground.
- Almost tap the ground with hip and then return to starting plank position.
- Repeat on other side and alternate between left and right.
I hope y’all have an amazing Mother’s Day! It’s so important to celebrate and treasure every moment you have with your mom. Finding something you enjoy doing together, like exercising, is a great way to keep your friendship with your mom super strong. You could even do my WBK programs together to improve your fitness and work on your goals!
Not part of the #WBK community yet? Join my programs today!